Advocating For You After Your Injury

Photo of attorney Peter E. Hutchins

Get Uninsured Motorist Coverage on your Umbrella Policy

On Behalf of | Apr 7, 2017 | Insurance |

An umbrella or excess personal liability policy is a special insurance policy that provides liability coverage on top of the coverage provided by both your homeowners and auto insurance.  It is usually inexpensive, and typically sold in increments of $1m.  I strongly advise everyone who owns a home and at least one auto purchase this additional coverage.    It is important to remember, however, that under NH law, an insured may choose to waive the coverage for purposes of underinsured motorist coverage.   NEVER do this.   Uninsured motorist coverage protects you and your family when you are injured by an uninsured motorist.  You do not want to find yourself with a catastrophic injury only to discover you have inadequate insurance to cover your damages and losses, including long term care and lost wages.