Advocating For You After Your Injury

Photo of attorney Peter E. Hutchins

What do I do if I am Injured in an Automobile Accident?

On Behalf of | Mar 16, 2015 | Auto Accident |

Many people injured in auto accidents unfortunately compromise their chances at receiving reasonable and fair compensation by not following some basic steps.  A person may not think they are seriously injured, or may not want to take the time to seek immediate medical treatment, however in so doing, they provide the insurance company for the negligent driver with immediate and persuasive defenses.   Here are some basic things you should do:

1-  Call the police so an officer can do an investigation at the scene;

2-  Obtain the other driver’s contact and insurance information;

3- Take photos of the vehicles and accident scene if possible;

4- If you are injured, tell the police officer – do not say you are not injured;

5- If injured, go to the Emergency Room, and if necessary, take an ambulance;

6- Be clear and accurate in your statement to the police officer at the scene;

7- Call your own insurance company when you get home and report the accident;

8- Do not speak to insurance companies other than your own;

9-  Use your health insurance to pay hospital and medical bills; and

10- Contact an attorney.

An auto accident is very disruptive, and often involves the complex interplay between several insurance policies.   Not understanding this interplay can cost you significant losses.    An attorney can preserve evidence, contact the appropriate insurance companies, and properly present your claim to the right parties in a timely manner – all of which will enhance your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve.   

At the Law Offices of Peter E. Hutchins, PLLC, we have been practicing personal injury law for over 32 years – and would be happy to provide you with a free consultation after an auto accident.    We work on a contingency, and therefore you will owe us nothing until your case settles.    Call us at (603) 625-5555.  We practice statewide in New Hampshire.