Advocating For You After Your Injury

Photo of attorney Peter E. Hutchins

What Should You Do if You Are Involved in an Auto Accident in New Hampshire?

On Behalf of | Nov 25, 2013 | Medical Bills |

Being involved in an automobile or motor vehicle accident can be a very confusing and traumatic event.   Many times, especially if an accident victim has never been in an accident before, they are very unsure of what to do.   If you or a passenger are injured in an auto crash that is not your fault, or if you are struck by a car while on a bicycle or walking as a pedestrian, you should do the following if possible:  (1)  Call the police to the scene while the other driver is still there so that the officer can conduct an investigation, preserve evidence, and issue a report;  (2) If there are witnesses to the accident, try to obtain their contact information, or at least ask them to stay until the police arrive; (3) Obtain the name and contact information of the person that hit you, and take down their license plate number;  (4)  Obtain the insurance information of the person that hit you; (5) If you believe you are injured at all, contact an ambulance or accept transportation by ambulance if offered by the police officer; (6) Do not tell the police officer or anyone else that you are “OK” if you are not; (7) Take photographs of the accident scene, skid marks and the vehicles involved or, if you are unable, ask someone else to do it; (8) If you are injured, go to the emergency room of the nearest hospital; (9) Contact your own insurance company to report the accident and to advise them you are injured; (10) Follow up with your family doctor or a medical specialist for treatment; and (11) Keep copies of all paperwork involving the accident, damage to your car, and your injuries. Remember, even if the person that hit you does not have insurance, you can make an uninsured motorist claim for your injuries against your own insurance company.  It is a right for which you have paid premiums, and it will not cause your premiums to increase.   Therefore, in any accident where you or a passenger are injured, you do have a right to be compensated and covered for your injuries and other damages, such as lost wages.   Also, given the complexities of the various insurances that will be involved, and given the danger that you could inadvertantly say or do something that may prejudice your case, it is advised that you contact a New Hampshire personal injury attorney as soon as possible to represent you and guide you through the process in order to take the stress off of you, and to make sure that things are done correctly and in accordance with the law, regulations and procedures so that you get the compensation you deserve, and don’t lose or forfeit any rights you may have.